Friday 30 June 2017

Day 1 – Through the Porthole – Paddle and The Legacy Room


One of the themes of the Canada C3 Expedition is reconciliation. One of the ways C3 is facilitating this is by setting aside a very special space aboard ship called the Legacy Room. In fact, it is called The Gord Downie & Chanie Wenjack Legacy Room. "This room was created for the Canada C3 Expedition as an intentional and safe space to discuss reconciliation and reconcili-ACTION. The Legacy Room idea was conceived by Nova Scotia Assembly of First Nations (AFN) Regional Chief Morley Googoo, who partnered with the Gord Downie & Chanie Wenjack Fund to create this national call to action to organizations to create space for reconciliation." (Canada C3)  The room is full of beautiful sacred objects and gifts; sage and sweet grass for smudging, a handmade drum, a wampum belt, handmade lacrosse sticks. I will share more about the Legacy Room in another post, as it is one of the most significant places I've ever had the honour of being welcomed into. But for now, I want to tell you about my first visit to the Legacy Room, and one very special object that is kept there: Paddle to the Sea.
"Based on Holling C. Holling's book of the same name, Paddle to the Sea is Bill Mason's 1966 film adaptation of the classic tale of an Indigenous boy who sets out to carve a man and a canoe. Calling the man "Paddle to the Sea," he sets his carving down on a frozen stream to await spring's arrival. The film follows the adventures that befall the canoe on its long odyssey from Lake Superior to the sea." (NFB) The film adaptation is 28 minutes long, and is the most watched NFB film ever, and for good reason. It's terrific. If you haven't seen it (or if you need a refresher, or if you just want to watch it again) you can find it here.

Now, hold on to your hats, people. Paddle, as in THE Paddle to the Sea, is going along on the Canada C3 adventure. He stays in the Legacy Room.  My first night aboard ship, after the excitement of the day, I went into the Legacy Room to quiet my mind, and there he was. Sitting quietly in his little plexiglass display case. Expedition leader, Geoff Green was also in the Legacy Room when I wandered in. I half-whispered, "Oh, there's Paddle!" I couldn't believe my eyes!  And then (and may I just say I was completely unprepared for this) Geoff says to me, "Yes, there's Paddle. Would you like to hold him?" Then he took Paddle out of the box and handed him to me.
Such a special little object, and I was holding him in my hands. 
I had just had an incredible day with the finest people in a beautiful city on Day One of an amazing journey. And now this. It was all too much and I was overcome with emotion. Yep, I cried.  Wouldn't you?
Here we are, after I had composed myself.

I still can't believe this happened. I can't believe I held Paddle. Anything is possible. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Another expedition!

The latest Students on Ice expedition got underway this week. This time they're exploring the coastline of mainland Nova Scotia and the ...